Saturday, June 20, 2009

Far

I'm currently listening to Regina Spektor's new album (thanks, NPR, for being even more awesome than usual), called "Far", and I think I'm in love.

It's possibly her most mainstream-sounding one...which, okay, for Regina Spektor can't get but so mainstream. She's always going to be quirky and weird no matter one, and will probably never write a song that can be mistaken for anyone but her. Which is fantastic. Anyway, like I was saying, there are more drumbeats and fewer piano solos, there are more backing vocals and fewer vocal tricks, and yet the lyrics remain unmistakably Regina:

"They started off beneath the knowledge tree
Then they chopped it down to make white picket fences
They marched along the railroad tracks
And smiled real wide for the camera lenses
They made it past the enemy lines
Just to become enslaved in the assembly lines"

Easily my favorite song on the album is quoted above, the song called "Blue Lips". She shows off her incredible talent for lyricism, her unusual and yet soulful voice, and it is something that is completely singalongable.

Though the album "11:11" will probably always remain my favorite Regina Spektor album, with "Soviet Kitsch" at a close second, she has yet to put out a single song that I dislike. I love every one of her songs for various reasons, and considering the number of songs she has put out, that's pretty amazing. She might be the only artist I can say that about. I absolutely adore her music and I can't wait to hear more!

2 comments:

  1. Um. Blue Lips is my favourite as well.
    And um, I introduced you to NPR's thingy of FAR.
    K thanks.

    :)

    ReplyDelete