Friday, May 15, 2009

Tour Dates

Today, we have a tour date for "A Midsummer Night's Dream". Jake is excited that he was able to clear his schedule to join us. I am excited because that means I don't have to attempt to make love-in-idleness sounds, because I'm really bad at it. Andrew seems the most excited about dinner, because apparently where we're going has some kind of kick-awesome dessert that he's obsessed with. I, on the other hand, try not to look forward to things that I cannot afford. Oh, college. Oh, life in general. Stop stealing my money.

Kerry said something the other day that got me thinking: "What an anticlimactic last show." And she's right. Our "last show" was on Sunday, and it was a fantastic show at that - chock-ful of a great audience, great performances, and great moments of unexpected hilarity, in particular when Pyramus's sword broke. I think I gave myself internal injuries from laughing so hard at how Adam and Brandon handled that. But anyway, our "last show" was pretty much just our last show until today. Five days later. And then we'll do it all again in July for a couple of weeks.

It's weird, how theatre works. You put your heart, brain, soul, and (at least in my case) a hefty portion of your bank account into a show. You bond with your cast and crew. You make a little family for a few months...and then you disperse. Sometimes, no matter how much you enjoyed the process, it's a relief not to have to deal with it anymore. Other times, it leaves a kind of void in your life that depresses you until the next project starts. And still other times, it's so fantastic not to have to do that play anymore that you wish there were some way to Eternal Sunshine yourself so you don't have to remember it. No matter what your experience is, the ending of a show is usually pretty profound for some reason or another.

For me, when this show officially ends, it will mean the end of my first job with Richmond Shakespeare, my first time working with Andrew Hamm, Stacie Rearden Hall, Adam Mincks, and Brandon Crowder, my first time doing professional Shakespeare, my first internship, and it will be something I truly miss. I have had such a blast working on this show - the people involved are all incredible and the laughs have been non-stop - and I'm really going to miss it when it ends.

Fortunately, that's not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment