Sunday, May 24, 2009

There's No Business Like Show Business

I saw Fort Lee's production of "Annie Get Your Gun" today. I forgot two very important things about that show:

1. How the music is pretty great.
2. How the story is kind of awful.

The story as a whole is cute if you don't read much into it (that is, if you don't watch it like I do), but the moral of it is basically "let your man think he's better than you or else he won't love you". Which is bad for both genders. It makes men look like wussy children who can't handle being second to a woman. And it makes women look like they have to dumb themselves down and hide their talents in order to be loved. I know the show isn't exactly current - it was written in the 1940's - but even so...I take some issue with it.

That said, I thought the cast did a great job with the show and I had an especially fun time watching my darling friend Hannah up there, looking as beautiful as always and just basically being an adorable little smile magnet. So proud of her!

1 comment:

  1. yeah, annie get your gun is not applicable to nowadays. but its cute.
    i would be right there with you, reading into it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete