Sunday, April 5, 2009

WHEN does school end?

This semester needs to be over, and here's why:

There is only one class that I actually like this semester. Constitutional Issues in the Health Care Arena. Sounds boring, totally isn't. Easily the best class I've taken in a long time. Nine students and a really chill teacher sitting around a semicircular table discussing ethics, and all of us get along. It's really great. But it's only one.

My Shakespeare class is disappointing, Media and Morality has turned into a game of Who Can Voice Their Opinions Louder, Comparative Politics is relatively interesting as a subject but very dull as a lecture, and U.S. Government is just plain confusing and my teacher is kind of schizophrenic with his note-posting, so no one ever knows what the heck is going on in there.

I study. I pay attention. I work hard. And yet this is easily the worst I've ever done academically in my life. I don't think it has anything to do with how much time I'm putting into everything - which is a lot - because it feels like no matter how much more I devoted, the end result would probably be about the same as what's happening now.

I spent days preparing for my Shakespeare midterm, which covered the plays Romeo and Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and As You Like It, all of which I have seen at least twice onstage, twice on film, and read at least five times in my lifetime, not to mention re-reading each of them in order to study, and yet I only got a 70. Me. On a Shakespeare exam. I got a 70. Me. This does not compute. I have never gotten lower than a B on any Shakespeare assignment in my life.

And then I found out that the class average was an 80. The class is full of theatre kids and English majors. Something tells me this has less to do with the students and more to do with...well. Anyway. It's frustrating, to say the least.

So here I am, hurtling my way at light speed toward a likely bout of academic probation, and all I can wonder is HOW MANY DAYS LEFT UNTIL SUMMER???? when normally I spend these last couple weeks of school wishing it wouldn't end.

This is exactly the kind of change I'm not a fan of.

Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment